Saturday, March 8, 2008

Cutting down on waste

Isn’t it wonderful that you can reduce the amount of waste that goes to the landfill while simultaneously creating wonderful rich soil to use in your garden? I love it!

I’ve had a composting bin but haven’t been using it until recently. I found collecting the scraps and taking them down to the bin to be rather inconvenient. Luckily, I found a small trash can with a lid to keep under the sink so that food scraps can be easily saved to been taken down to the composting bin.

So far I’ve been saving things like cuttings from fruits and vegetables, egg shells, coffee grinds, and green material from the gardener. I’d like to read more on what kinds of things can mix together to create the perfect PH balance for a compost pile.

I can’t wait to have beautiful compost!

No comments: